The Municipality of Boljoon was once a visita of Carcar and only became an independent parish in 1690. When it became a parish, it was given the jurisdiction over the visitas of Tañon and Oslob. Aside from the Nuestra Señora del Patrocinio Church, the town is also known for the Ili Rock formation, which greets visitors of the town.
The Nuestra Señora del Patrocinio Church or Our Lady of Patronage of Mary Parish Church is the most important landmark of Boljoon. It is also called the Boljoon Church and was declared as a National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum of the Philippines. The church was built like a fortress that protected the people of Boljoon from constant attacks by Moro raiders during the Spanish period.
The National Historical Institute declared the Nuestra Señora del Patrocinio Church as a National Historical Landmark in 1999. The National Museum of the Philippines later listed the church as a National Cultural Treasure in 2001. The church is also a part of the list of nominated candidates for the Baroque Churches of the Philippines of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of the Philippines.