The Cebu Lumpia House was initially established in 1956 as a small shop offering congee in downtown Cebu. During this time, the area was considered as the heart of the city and filled with businesses selling anything and everything to meet the needs of the residents of the city. Since it was located along Plaridel Street, it was called the Plaridel Restaurant. But, disaster struck fifteen years later after the place was razed by a fire. This family-owned restaurant reopened along Manalili Street in 1974 under a new name, the Lumpia House.
Today, the Cebu Lumpia House has expanded and established a number of branches in different parts of the city. Loyal customers of the restaurant say it offers “the best noodle in town.” It offers Fookien cuisine, which was brought to Cebu by Co Chui Kui from mainland China. Similar to many family-run businesses, all the members of the family had a role to play. Co, the patriarch, managed the place with his wife, Lucita, taking the role of the chief cook. On the other hand, the children were the kitchen assistants.
The specialty of the house is, of course, the lumpia. The Cebu Lumpia House offers different variations of their lumpia, such as the Chinese Lumpia, Lumpia Shanghai and Native Lumpia. In addition to the lumpia, the restaurant is also known for their egg noodles, which is considered among the best in the city. The noodles come in different variations, including the Wanton Noodles, Humba Noodles, and Shrimp Ball Noodles, among others.