The history of the Central Command of the Armed Forces of the Philippines started on May 17, 1942 when the 3rd Military Area (3MA) was activated under the United States Armed Forces in the Far East (USAFFE). The wartime military unit was given the task of providing an effective defense against the Japanese Imperial Army. It had command and control over all allied forces within the Visayas and Mindanao areas. During this time, the headquarters of the 3MA was in Camp Guadalupe, which is the present-day Barangay Guadalupe. The military unit was later transferred to its present location in Camp Lapu-Lapu following the end of the war.
According to the Facebook Page of the Central Command of the AFP, its mission is “to intensify the conduct of sustained peace and security operations in the Visayas to significantly degrade the armed capability of KR-P, KR-N, KR-SB, EVRPC and other threat groups in order to help create an environment conducive for sustainable development and a just and lasting peace.”