The Municipality of Dumanjug is best known for its native delicacy, the bisnok. The town was once under the supervision of the Barili Parish, which is one of the older towns of Cebu. While a good number of towns became municipalities before they became parishes, Dumanjug was established as a parish before it became a municipality. The parish was established in 1854 before the place became a municipality in 1855.
St. Francis of Assisi Parish Church is the center of the faith of the people of Dumanjug. Construction of the church started in 1854, when the Dumanjug Mission Post was made into a parish. While Spanish Bishop Romualdo Jimeno, O. P commissioned the work, it was undertaken by Rev. Fr. Matias Cabrera, a pioneering Filipino secular priest, and Doroteo Godinez. It should be noted that the church is one of the few church structures in the country that was designed, accomplished, managed, and completed by the natives. The church was completed in 1864 as shown on the entrance of the church itself.
The bell tower of St. Francis of Assisi Parish Church has a dodecagonal or has twelve sides. This was a typical design of many colonial churches. Even though it had three stories, the ceilings were rather high. It also looks tall due to its engaged pilasters and the elevated façade is broken only by a double pediment. It is also one of the most beautifully-designed churches in the western part of Cebu. The church is one of the attractions of the town due to its heritage and historical significance.
St. Francis of Assisi Parish Church was one of the churches that sustained damage following the 8.9 magnitude earthquake that shook Cebu and other islands in the Visayas in 2013. The church was later rehabilitated with the help of the National Historical Commission of the Philippines or NHCP.